Tracking population migration in Charlotte
Charlotte: Where they’re coming from & where they’re going
August 03, 2020
Net migrants | In-migration (2018)
Net migrants | Out-migration (2018)
- The Charlotte Metro continued to be a major draw for new residents coming from the Northeast.
- 6 of the top ten metros new Charlotteans came from are in the Northeast.
- New residents have been drawn by a robust job market, lower cost of living, and more pleasant climate.
- Charlotte has also been attracting more new residents from South Florida. Year over year migration from the Miami-Fort Lauderdale metro increased by 450%.
- Charlotte is also seeing a major increase in migration from California. In-Migration from California has increased by 500% year over year as the California diaspora moves further east.
- The Charlotte region is losing residents to neighboring metros with lower cost housing while still commuting to the Charlotte metro.