9 ways to boost
real estate costs
The key to innovative, cost-saving workplace optimization strategies? Your real estate technology systems. Learn 9 ways to boost space utilization and reduce government real estate costs.
In a typical government office, as much as 30% of office space is not used to its full capacity during a normal business week, according to JLL research. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to disrupt governments of all sizes, now is the ideal time to reimagine your workplaces for a new era of flexible working and more efficient use of space.
Innovative workplace concepts, including unassigned seating and ‘hoteling,’ are converging with the urgent need to drive the most value out of every square foot of space in response to evolving headcounts and changing priorities. Concurrently, new approaches for monitoring and managing space utilization are coming to the forefront as organizations create more dynamic workplaces. The key to today’s innovative, cost-saving workplace optimization strategies? Your real estate technology systems. By leveraging the systems and data you already have, you can understand how and when your space is used or sitting empty, how different workplace strategies could improve utilization—and where excess space can be eliminated or repurposed.
Of course, office space is not the only space that matters in the public sector. You can use space utilization metrics to optimize usage of your schools, park district buildings, law enforcement facilities, and even specialized government properties like municipal airport aircraft hangars. The end goal is the same: to understand how space is being used today, so you can use it more efficiently and effectively tomorrow. To help you tackle the challenge, the following are 9 key questions to consider.
- Why is space utilization important in today’s environment?
- How can better space utilization reduce costs?
- What are the first steps for understanding space utilization in my organization?
- What data will I need and how will I obtain it?
- How will continuing adoption of remote working affect space utilization?
- Will I need to invest in additional technologies?
- How do I fine-tune monitoring our space utilization?
- How does effective space utilization benefit the government employee experience in the workplace?
- How does effective space utilization benefit building performance?
Want to get more out of your real estate technology? Click here to connect with a government technology expert