Matthew A. Coursen
Executive Managing Director, Market Leader, Mid-Atlantic Healthcare Group
Mr. Coursen is an Executive Managing Director at JLL and is the Market Leader of the Mid-Atlantic Healthcare Practice Group. He specializes in the representation of hospitals, health systems, healthcare technology companies and high-growth, venture-backed health networks across the United States. His clients value him for his ability to devise sophisticated, data-driven real estate strategies, for his experience negotiating complex, mission-critical lease and purchase transactions and for his commitment to their shared values. Since 2005, Mr. Coursen has advised his clients on over 1,000 real estate transactions valued in excess of $2B.
Some of Mr. Coursen’s representative healthcare assignments include:
- Children’s National Hospital - Advise CNH on its 1,000,000 square foot ambulatory portfolio and 2,000,000 square foot campus
- US Dermatology – Advise US Derm on its 106 location portfolio of dermatology clinics and surgery centers across the United States
- Advantia Health – Advise Advantia on its 50 location portfolio of women’s health clinics and surgery centers across the United States
- Gastro Health – Advise Gastro Health on its 100 location portfolio of specialty clinics across the northeast United States
- US Radiology Specialists – Advise USRS on its 180 location portfolio of radiology and imaging suites across the United States
- Carbon Health Technologies – Advise this fast-growing, modern healthcare provider scale in 30 markets across the United States
- Cano Health – Advise Cano on its national expansion strategy of primary care clinics
Prior to joining JLL in 2005, Mr. Coursen worked in the sports industry for USA Football, a joint venture between the NFL and NFL Players Association, in the areas of communications, marketing and website development.
- 2021 Globe St. Real Estate Forum Healthcare Influencer
- 2021 JLL Top Gun
- 2020 Maryland Transaction of the Year Award from CREBA
- 2020 Best Real Estate Deal of the Year by The Washington Business Journal
- 2019 JLL Top Gun
- 2018 JLL Top Gun
- 2017 DCA Live Media 40-Under-40 Rising Star of Real Estate
- 2017 JLL Top Gun
Education and Affiliations
Mr. Coursen received a Bachelor of Arts from Washington & Lee University. He is a licensed Real Estate Salesperson in MD, VA and DC and is a member in good standing of the Commercial Real Estate Brokerage Association of Greater Washington (CREBA).
Mr. Coursen is a frequent speaker at healthcare conferences and has been quoted in numerous publications including The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Washington Business Journal, The Advisory Board, Globe Street Real Estate, Bisnow Media and National Real Estate Investor discussing real estate and healthcare industry trends and strategies.
In addition to his professional pursuits, Mr. Coursen is actively involved in the Washington, DC community as a member of the Foundation Advisory Board for Children’s National Hospital and as a former Trustee at Landon School where he is currently serving as Co-Chair of the Campaign for Landon. He and his family reside in Bethesda, MD.