Senior Vice President Brokerage
Mr. Thomas has been a commercial real estate broker in the Washington, DC area since moving here in 1985. John’s practice consists exclusively of representing tenants in planning, coordinating and executing lease renewals and new lease transactions for office, flex and industrial product. John’s practice is on both a local and national basis.
Years of experience
John began his career in Washington, DC with Julien J. Studley, Inc. He accepted a position at Cushman & Wakefield in northern Virginia, in 1990, to concentrate on corporate clients with multiple locations locally and nationally. In 2000 John was recruited by Tishman Speyer Properties to manage the leasing of their northern Virginia portfolio which exceeded 1 M s.f. of office space and 40 acres of master planned development sites. Longing to represent tenants in real estate transaction, John left Tishman Speyer Properties in 2002 and joined The Staubach Company's northern Virginia office to focus on representing corporate clients. The Staubach Company was purchased by Jones Lang La Salle in 2008.
• Serco Inc. – Co-manage a 1M s.f. portfolio of over 80 leases throughout the US. Relocated Serco’s US headquarters of 100,000 s.f. to Reston, VA in 2007 with a subsequent relocation to Herndon, VA in 2018 for 85,000 s.f.
• National Student Clearinghouse – Represented NSC in the relocation of its headquarters in 2009 to Herndon, VA for 45,000 s.f. and the early renewal of its lease in 2016 for an additional 15 years. Early renewal provided NSC an improvement allowance enabling NSC to convert from a closed office environment to an open office environment.
• Juniper Networks – Represented Juniper over the past three years in three transactions in Herndon, VA totaling over 70,000 s.f.
• Lessard, Inc – Represented Lessard in the renewal of their lease for 20,000 s.f in Tysons, VA in 2016.
• Dimension Data – Represented Dimension Data in the relocation of 16,000 s.f. in 2014 to Plaza America in Reston, VA, with a subsequent expansion of 3,000 s.f. in 2013 and lease extension through 2019.
• United States Postal Service – Represented USPS in nine transactions ranging from a 2,000 s.f. retail lease to a 145,000 s.f. lease renewal in 2010 for the Office of the Inspector General in Arlington, VA
•The George Washington University – Represented GWU for 25,000 s.f. in the relocation of their Arlington, VA adult education campus in 2010.
Top Achiever – 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006
Top Gun - 2016
Bachelor of Science, Economics, Vanderbilt University and a Master of Business Administration, Finance and Accounting, Tulane University.
Hockey North America
Shattuck-St. Mary’s School Board of Trustees, Fairbault, MN
Shattuck-St. Mary’s Foundation Board of Trustees, Fairbault, MN