Derek Trulson is a vice chairman in JLL’s New York office. His responsibilities include New York-based and national client transaction management, development advisory, and brokerage services for local and national strategic growth initiatives on behalf of corporations with complex strategic issues related to growth, facilities, construction, technology, and staffing.
With over 30 years of real estate experience, Derek began his career as a developer and construction project manager. Focusing on value engineering and cost saving analysis, he manages the “complete” building process, from space planning to permit/design review to construction and tenant move-in.
In New York, Derek has been responsible for establishing the Financial Industry Practice and Operational Planning Practice. He has forged new ground for the firm in such areas as leasing (renewals, relocations, subleasing and buyouts), acquisitions (land purchase, build-to-suits and restorations), overall portfolio management, and individual transactions totaling over 1 million s.f. annually. His notable roster of portfolio clients includes Nordstrom, Business Insider, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, T-Mobile and Healthfirst.
In 2010, Derek won the “Most Significant Lease of the Year” award for Healthfirst in lower Manhattan. He was the top professional in the New York office and ranked third overall in the company in 2006. For his T-Mobile national account, Derek won the “Best New Office Development” award from the Dallas Business Journal as part of its “Best and Biggest Deals of 2005” feature.” For 14 consecutive years (2008 – present), Derek earned JLL’s Top Gun award – a national ranking of the firm’s top 5% achievers.
In the development arena, Derek leads multiple resources (PDS, Capital Markets, Hotels, Retail, and Brokerage), and subject matter experts through preliminary due-diligence, site planning, financial analysis, and market access – local, national and international.
- Midway Crossing: 2,700,000-s.f. Mixed-use New Development – Transportation-oriented Development (TOD)
- Nordstrom: 365,000-s.f. Mixed-use New development – Condo Acquisition, Retail Leases, and Full-line Department Store
- Nordstrom: 47,000-s.f. Retail Lease – Men’s Store
- Confidential Technology Client: 360,000-s.f. Office Lease
- Confidential Technlology Client: 335,000-s.f. Office Lease
- Trunk Club: 100,000-s.f., Multiple Office Leases
- Hautelook: 700,000-s.f. New Development Construction Fulfillment Center – Industrial
- Nordstrom: 1,000,000-s.f. New Development Construction Fulfillment Center – Industrial
- Healthfirst: 350,000-s.f., Multiple Office Leases
- T-Mobile: 100,000-s.f. Each, Multiple Call Centers – Renewals / Expansions, New Development
- KCG Holdings: 175,000-s.f. Office Lease
- SS&C Technologies: 135,000-s.f. Office Lease
- SMBC: 400,000-s.f., Multiple Office Leases
Education and affiliations:
Derek earned a bachelor of science degree from the University of Washington Building Construction Program and a Certificate Program in Commercial Real Estate. As a Type I diabetic, he is an active supporter of diabetes-related charitable organizations. In his spare time, Derek enjoys golf and collecting 60’s era muscle cars.
Business Insider Complex Media Hautelook
KCG Holdings, Inc. Nordstrom
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corp.
- New York, NY | United States
- +1 212 418 2612
License #: NY - 10311207792
- View LinkedIn profile
- Download bio (PDF - 169 KB)