In Silicon Valley, skilled, foreign workers find opportunity in big tech
The race for skilled human capital has been the most evident at Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Apple, and Facebook
December 18, 2019
- The race for skilled human capital has been the most evident at Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Apple, and Facebook, where a significant amount of growth in the current cycle is ongoing.
- In 2018, 6% of H-1B visa applicants worked at the aforementioned companies, and significantly more than 50% of those workers hold a Master’s Degree or higher.
- The number of visa applications have grown by an average of 24% year over year since 2016.
- 7% of Facebook’s total workforce is employed through the H-1B Visa program, whereas the others hover around 3%.
- These companies will have increased the number of H-1B visa workers in the US by roughly 9,700, while also contributing over 15 million cumulative square feet of office demand in the Bay Area in the past 3 years.
Source: USCIS, JLL Research