People flying through Portland International Airport
According to Travel Oregon, tourism in Oregon is an $11.8 billion industry.
March 12, 2019
- According to Travel Oregon, tourism in Oregon is an $11.8 billion industry. Tourism directly generates more than 112,000 jobs in Oregon, with secondary impacts that create another 56,900 jobs. The primary port of entry for tourists into Oregon is Portland’s PDX international airport.
- The number of people taking flights in and out of PDX totaled 19.9 million people in 2018, a 4.2 percent increase from the previous year.
- International passenger growth has grown considerably faster than domestic passenger growth, with international passengers passing through PDX growing 91 percent to 862,166 people in just 5 years.
- With the increased passenger volume, PDX has big plans for its own growth. The $215 million project for the 830-foot-long expansion of Concourse E topped out in February. The six-gate expansion will be the new home for Southwest airlines in June of 2020, allowing the other airlines to reshuffle within existing terminals.
- The expansion is part of the airport’s five-year $1.3 billion project focused on the core of its terminals and includes a $67 million car wash/fuel station for rental cars, a $265 million parking garage addition, and private development of 7-Eleven gas station and Dutch Bros Coffee.
Source: Port of Portland, Travel Oregon