Oakland A’s proposed new stadium at the Howard Terminal
The Oakland Port is the 5th busiest container port in the US handling 99% of the containers in Northern California
August 14, 2019
- The simplified 3 step plan:
- Purchase the current coliseum and turn it into a tech/housing hub while preserving the Oracle Arena for concerts and events.
- Move to Howard Terminal and build a new waterfront park, including housing, offices, restaurants, retail, and public spaces in time for the 2023 baseball season.
- Construct a large $123 million gondola to shuttle people from 12th street BART to the site for a 3 minute ride compared to a 21 minute walk from the station.
- The Gondola is planned to move 6,000 people per hour per direction with 1 million riders per year while increasing Oakland visitors by 50,000.
- Estimated a 20% reduction in car trips by providing limited, expensive parking encouraging public transportation, walking, biking and ride share services.
- The Oakland Port is the 5th busiest container port in the US handling 99% of the containers in Northern California so a balance will need to be found between maintaining the industrial capabilities of this working port with improving the area with this upscale development.
Source: JLL Research