The boom of craft beer in Charlotte
In 2018, craft breweries impacted local economies by more than $67,745,000 across the nation.
November 20, 2019
- Click here for our interactive map
- In 2018, craft breweries impacted local economies by more than $67,745,000 across the nation. The growth in the craft beer industry created more than 500,000 jobs, an unprecedented growth in the national industry.
- Over 300 craft breweries call the Tar Heel State home. North Carolina lands as the 7th highest barrel producer in the USA (1,254,054 barrels), proving the industry as a 2.04 billion dollar asset to the state.
- In 2012, Charlotte’s city limits only contained seven craft brewers. Less than a decade later, the market grew to 59 breweries, posting an increase of over 700% (compared to the national growth of 200% in the same time frame).
- Breweries do more than offer really good beers. Each brewery has a unique element, seeking to serve its community by being a place of community and gathering, while supporting other small, Charlotte-born shops like food trucks and local musicians.
- Be on the lookout for the Charlotte Independent Brewers Alliance red cap, notifying customers of products that come from certified Charlotte craft breweries. As breweries continue to differentiate their products through innovation and experience, customers should choose craft beer for three reasons: the beer is really good, it keeps wealth in Charlotte, and it encourages unity within the Queen City.
Source: JLL Research