Charleston attracts funding to diverse industries
Biotech, IT, and Health Care lead funding into region
August 17, 2020
Venture Capital funding by region
Venture Capital funding 2016-2020
- Much like the banking hub three hours to the north, Charleston is a growing destination for venture capital targeted toward the Fintech industry.
- The Fintech industry has attracted more than $39M of venture capital over the past five years.
- Accounting technology firm Ceterus pulled in more than $29M of the share going to Fintech.
- Biotechnology has also been a growing sector in the Charleston region; $35M has been invested into the biotech sector among firms such as FirstString Research, Catalytic Data Science, and Rediscovery Life.
- Charleston has been a growing sector for venture capital that has been driven by its educated workforce and growing share of technology workers. Tech and science related jobs have grown by 13% in the past five years in the region.