Snapshots

Bay Area Priority Development Areas are projected to accommodate 72 percent of new housing development

The Bay Area’s strong economy has created challenges to housing and transportation today

May 29, 2019
  • The Bay Area’s strong economy has created challenges to housing and transportation today. According to Plan Bay Area, Priority Development Areas (PDAs) are projected to accommodate over two-thirds of all housing and employment growth through 2040, on less than 5.0 percent of the Bay Area’s land (Plan Bay Area 2040 Final Plan). Also, by 2040 PDAs will contain 72.0 percent of the region’s total household production and 77.0 percent total jobs. 
  • PDAs are identified as potential growth areas that are in proximity to major employment hubs, public transit, existing housing/communities, and future housing. The Bay Area currently has 170 locally nominated PDAs. If local jurisdictions implement policies and strategies that lie within Plan Bay Area, the region will move towards sustainable growth and provide relief from the region’s current challenges.

    Source: JLL Research, Plan Bay Area, ABAG

Like what you read?

You may also like